Ok, I’m going to share with you one of my favorite lentil recipe: a coconut & curry red lentil dahl (also written dal, daal or dhal). It is a vegetarian and gluten-free dish which is super easy to prepare. It is also very tasty and really healthy with a low Glycemic Index.
You can choose to serve it as an accompaniment to meat or fish. It can also be a great starter if you get a smaller portion. Unlike brown lentils, these red lentils are smaller and they will cook a lot faster. They are also easier to digest than other legumes. I added curry but you can prepare it with any spices that you like (cumin, nutmeg, turmeric, ginger, clove…). And coconut milk brings a touch a sweetness.
On the nutrition side, lentils have a great healthy value: proteins, fibers, magnesium, iron, calcium and a very low Glycemic Index (<35). Ok, coconut milk brings saturated fats (about 18%) but they do not have a negative impact on cardiovascular health. The fat content of this dish remains very reasonable: only 10 g per serving!
Coconut Red Curry Lentil Dahl Recipe
- 1 cup (210g) red lentils (rinsed well)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tablespoons curry
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Step 1 Rinse the lentils with clear water. Peel and chop the onion and the zucchini. Tin chop the tomatoes (keep the juice).
- Step 2 Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Sauté onion, stirring frequently, until it has softened and is turning clear. Add chopped zucchini, tomatoes (and its juice) and cook, stirring continuously for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 3 Add lentils to pan and cover with coconut milk. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and spices you like (curry here). Raise heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat until mixture is at a fast simmer. Cook uncovered until lentils are tender (about 25-30 minutes). Add water when needed (if mixture has thickened too fast and lentils are not soft enough yet). If dahl is too “soupy”, increase heat and cook for a little longer.
- Step 4 Serve hot with meat, fish or salad. Enjoy!